How to Report a Maintenance Issue

If something in your home is damaged or broken, please report it to HousingFirst as soon as possible. If the problem is not urgent, you can complete our online Maintenance Request and HousingFirst will be notified by email.

You can also contact the office to make a report:

  • During business hours: 9534 5837
  • After hours: 0419 505 073 (for emergencies only)

Please have the following information ready to tell us when you call:

  • Your address
  • A detailed description of the problem
  • Whether you have reported the problem before
  • When a tradesperson can access your property to assess and hopefully fix the problem
  • If it is OK for HousingFirst to arrange access if you are not home

Responsive Maintenance

HousingFirst has an experienced maintenance team who undertake most responsive maintenance works. For specialist trades and services we have a preferred list of contractors who undertake this work on our behalf.

Our response time depends on how urgent your problem is. Use the guidelines below for information on how your maintenance report will be addressed.

1. Urgent repairs

Urgent repairs are repairs that need to be fixed straight away. HousingFirst aims to complete any urgent repairs within 24 hours of it being reported. To report an urgent repair outside of business hours contact HousingFirst’s on call service on 0419 505 073.

The following list outlines the types of repairs that are considered urgent:

  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a dangerous electrical fault or gas leak
  • a serious roof leak, flooding or serious flood damage
  • a failure or breakdown of any essential service such as hot water, water, cooking or heating
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to your home
  • a broken window or any fault or damage that makes your home unsafe or insecure
  • serious fault in a lift

2. Priority repairs

Priority repairs are repairs that aren’t dangerous but are still important, like a dripping tap. We’ll get these done within 7 days.

3. Non-urgent or Normal repairs

Non-urgent repairs are considered to be more minor, like a damaged cupboard. We will complete these within 14 days.

Cyclical or Programmed maintenance

This is non-urgent work that’s usually done to improve your home, like replacing old carpets or upgrading your kitchen. These repairs are known as ‘cyclical maintenance’, because the work is on a large scale and needs to be planned.

If you ask for some work like this to be done, there’s often a waiting time before we can get started. Speak to HousingFirst maintenance staff about how long you can expect to wait.


If your needs change because of health or disability we may be able to modify your existing housing. An Occupational Therapist will need to make an assessment to provide a report on your housing needs. If your house cannot be modified we will help find a more suitable property for you.

If you would like to make any alterations to your home you must first get our permission. You can do this by completing a Building Modification Request Form or by contacting the office to make an appointment.

Builder’s Liability Period

New developments have a Builder’s Defect Liability Period of 12 months. Any matters identified as a builder’s defect will be rectified by the builder, who must complete the works within a reasonable time period.